Thursday, June 21, 2012

What's on Tap?: Boulder Brewing's Mojo Risin' Double IPA

Colorado Brewing's
Mojo Risin' Double IPA
It may come to no suprise to my friends and family, but I just can't seem to get over my recent craze for all things IPA. American styles, imperials and doubles? All of the above, please. So when I am in the mood to try something new, sometimes you just have to ask for help. I recently enlisted my local beer concierge (employee at liquor store) and asked him for a great IPA that I haven't tried yet. After a couple of recommendations, I ultimately decided on Boulder Brewing's Mojo Risin' Double IPA ($12.99/ 4-pack).

To my honest, I have walked by their offering many times before without ever picking up a sixer. Their branding is colorful and eye-catching, with beers you know by name but have never tried (Hazed and Infused APA). Come to find out, Boulder Brewing is Colorado's first microbrew in a state that is closing the gap on others in the title for the best craft beers in America. Their founders were a couple of homebrewers and the overall motif of their beer is to "not take yourself too seriously", something I think it very important in brewing today (how else would we ever see jalepeno flavored beers, huh?).  I decided to skip out on the regular Mojo IPA and go straight for the souped-up version, which seemed to put a smile on the face of the normally stoic clerk.

Upon dispensing this brew into the appropriate chalice, I was met with the strong aroma of toasted, carmely malt goodness. It pours a coppery, rust colored orange and about a finger of head clings to the side of the glass on the first couple of drinks. Let me tell you, this 2X IPA is no joke! It's creamy, maltiness is only surpassed by a very earthy, and lingering, hop flavor. For being a double, this was a pretty well-balanced brew in terms of hops vs. malts vs. alcohol taste.

Yes, I am happy to drink you too!

And speaking of the alcohol (10% ABV), this is one of those beers that has you feeling good after the first one.  I wouldn't reccomend having more than two of these  in a given night, as it is definitely one to sip and savor (not power hour). It is an ideal double IPA for a fall evening which might contradict the 90 degree plus weather we have been experiencing here recently.


Overall, this is a solid showing from the guys down in Boulder. I think I would definitely have to lean towards the doubles of Southern Tier and Firestone Walker this time of the year but I can't argue with the taste and balance (and silliness) of the Mojo Risin' Double IPA. 3.5/5. http://www.boulderbeer.com/

Please let me know if you have tried any good beers lately and would like to see reviewed on this blog. Sharing new brews with other avid beer drinkers is what makes the craft beer culture continue to grow. Just as long as you don't recommend any lime flavored pilsners, we will be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment